Towards the end of June, Safaricom unveiled a new loyalty reward promotion targeted at its 28.6 million M-PESA customers and the 156,000 agents who make M-PESA transactions across the country and beyond, possible.
While those target rewards appear scanty and, to be honest, insignificant to the extent that one ends up feeling unappreciated, they are part of a grand scheme of things and ought to be viewed that way. They are means to an end and not the end itself
This is what you need to know about the promotion:
- You don’t need to do a thing. By default, all active Safaricom M-PESA customers are automatically enrolled in the promotion. The keyword here is active. This is because those whose M-PESA accounts have either been suspended or frozen are not eligible to take part in the promotion.
- As such, one only needs to start transacting on M-PESA in order to get rewarded and, according to Safaricom, “increase their chances of being a winner”.
- For every Kshs 100 that one transacts on M-PESA, they get 10 points in the Maisha Ni M-PESA Tu promotion. That simple.
- The points are not transferrable.
- One can only redeem the weekly target rewards once per week throughout the promotion’s remaining 6 weeks. More on those here.
- The promotion is not just limited to M-PESA customers. Even agents where we deposit and withdraw money from are in. For every Kshs 100 transacted through them, an M-PESA agent gets a point in the Maisha Ni M-PESA Tu promotion.
- Whereas agents are not in the running to win the apartments on offer, they stand to win cash prizes of Kshs 1 million.
- Those who are not interested in the promotion can as well opt out by dialing the promotion short code, *444*0#, and selecting the last option.
- There are daily and weekly draws for which Kshs 110 million in daily and weekly cash prizes is up for grabs. Another Kshs 100 million can be won daily and weekly in the form of airtime, SMS and data.